5.03.2013

Awk-Ward..



Via Pinterest

Day 3: Things that make you Uncomfortable

Well, this is an easy one.
P-U-B-L-I-C S-P-E-A-K-I-N-G

If there's one thing in the world that makes me uncomfortable it is public speaking. It is not the thought of being in front of people bc I have always danced, cheered, played sports and worked in restaurants. I think it is just being put on the spot and not being 100% comfortable with what I'm saying. I do not like to be put on the spot. I do not like to be the center of attention. And I do not like to be singled out. I am the most awkward person on planet earth when put in these situations.

Yep, I was the 22 year old in freshman speech class. I signed up for speech every semester of college and dropped the class the day of the first speech for 7 semesters. The eighth semester I had no choice. Needless to say, I did not have an "A" in speech class like 99.9% of the population. And I'm totally ok with that. 

And get this... now they offer speech in high school that counts towards college credit. I totally could have pulled an "A" off if that was the case 10 years ago (WHOA). My little sister isn't even out of high school and that class is already behind her. Lucky duck.

Public speaking may be the #1 thing that makes me uncomfortable, but thankfully my new job helps me with this every single day. Not that I give speeches on the reg, by any stretch of the imagination, but our little 5 person office is in open discussion all day, every day. Everyone is involved in all situations. Everyone's opinions and ideas are expressed and taken into consideration. Our boss loves to question us. Not to embarrass us, but to help us learn. 

I used to could not even talk on the phone or order a pizza if someone was near me. 
Yesterday, I was in a meeting with my boss and a client and I was the one asking the questions.
I'm a work in progress and getting better every single day.

Other things that make me uncomfortable..
Intense political/religious discussions
When people talk really loud in quiet settings
When people's pants are too short



3 comments:

  1. I hate ordering food on the phone. I usually go in the bathroom to do it so nobody can hear me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way in any case that requires talking on the phone to someone I don't know. Makes me feel so silly!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. I HATED speech class. I knocked it out my 2nd semester, but it was torture the entire time. I get all red and flustery, and sometimes start to stutter and sweat.

    My teacher was mean too, so that didn't help.

    ReplyDelete