4.04.2011

Over the Weekend

Relay for Life Edition

Over the weekend, we spent most of our time preparing for and pulling off a successful BBQ fundraiser, to raise money for Relay for Life.

The whole process started on Thursday, when we headed off to Sam's to prepare for Saturday's events. Little did we know, how much more food we needed. We spent the rest of Thursday night cutting up 50 lbs of potatoes and boiling them in a crawfish cooker for potatoe salad. (that should get a you a pretty good visual of how much 50 lbs of potatoes is)

On Friday, the boys started smoking the 6 boston butts for the pulled pork plates, while Stephanie, Mrs. Sandy and I headed out in search of purple t-shirts, enough white bread to feed an army and of course, the most important cooking essential... beer (for Friday night, not at the event). Needless to say, at Kroger, when we purchased 12 loaves of bread and some beer, we got quite a few looks. Not to mention, the guy checking I.D's told me that I looked 15 and  that my I.D. just HAD to be my older sister. To which I responded, I definitely can't use my sisters I.D. if I wanted to (meaning we look nothing alike bc she is dark, blonde and 5 inches shorter than me) to which he responds, "O, she must be ugly or something!" BAHAHA. "No, No, No.. She is very pretty. We just don't look alike at all." Also on Friday, I cooked 4 boxes of brownies and baggied them up with purple ribbon.

Then it was time for the big event. Little did we know how successful this would be. We weren't even good and set up before people were buying plates. I don't know about you, but I don't eat pulled pork or grilled chicken at 10:30 a.m., but to each his own. We had 100 pre-sold plates that we never had time to get done before the crowd came. If we had been able to get these plates prepared before people started coming, the whole process would have gone off without a hitch. (P.S. Thank you to Miller's old accounting firm for buying 50 plates and thanks to Tyler for getting 50 orders for the fine nurses and doctors at UMC)  But, never fear, our super team got all of those plates delivered, plus the crazy amount of walk up's we had. All in all, we raised over $1,000 for Stephanie and Wally's Relay for Life team, not to mention the $300 made off of the Super Bowl squares. I would say it was a SUCCESS!!!

Tips for a successful BBQ:
~Get there earlier, so everything is in perfect order
~Get all pre-sold delivery orders done before it starts
~Make more pulled pork!!!

I can't wait til next year!! I have a feeling, it will be even more successful than this year. It's so rewarding, knowing you are doing something that benefits such a great cause.

P.S. The main Relay for Life event is on April 29th at 6 p.m. for anyone who may be interested in attending. Sadly, Kendol and I won't be able to attend, but that's bc we will be at the BEACH!

Here are the very few pictures that got taken, since we were so busy.


Chicken boys manning the grill.. Hey Cody, that maroon sure looks good on you
(He's an Ole Miss fan)

Kaitlyn and I getting things ready


Stephanie and I before we got started.

Look who came to visit!! Sweet Hayes.

Our awesome team (minus a few) celebrating a job well done at Philips on the Rez!!
Wally, Myself, Stephanie, Kendol, Krista, Cody and Miller

My challenge to everyone today is to get out there and get involved in something new!! It's so rewarding and worth every second of your time.


In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
~ Matthew 5:16


Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.
~ Hebrews 13:16

No comments:

Post a Comment