12.02.2010

This Race is for You!!

So, I just ran across the most adorable picture in the world and I immediately started crying. This is Eleanor when she was little and my grandaddy "Nanny."
 
Nanny was diagnosed with cancer at the beginning of my 9th grade year. I remember leaving early from our first football game against Jackson Prep to go to the hospital to see him! Luckily for us, he lived for 3 more years after that!!! The last time I saw him was May of my Junior year, we were in the hospital together. I was in an accident and had to have surgery on my on my wrist. Well, Nanny found out I was there and ignored his nurses orders to not come see me. Although I was really out of it, I just remember him coming to my room, oxygen tank and all!! I'm so glad he did, bc at the time I had no idea it would be the last. I remember it like it was yesterday and it makes me cry every time.

As most of you know, I am running my first half marathon on Saturday and it benefits St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. I know it's not much, but it's my small way of helping in the fight against this nasty disease. I am a part of a team of runners, mostly consisting of Tri Delta's from MS State, close friends, husbands, boyfriends and family. Together we have raised over $2,500, so far!!

Dear Nanny,
This race is for you!! I know you will be watching me and I may need your help towards the end. I don't care how long it takes me or how I finish, just as long as I cross the finish line!!

I love you and think about you everday!!
Caldonia Colleen

P.S. I may celebrate with some Bolgna and Whip Cream!! (that's what he would tell me was my only option to eat every time I said I was hungry ha)

No comments:

Post a Comment